Thursday, November 19, 2009

Revolution Under the People Tree





















smash that dish
& burn your apron
dry your tears
& load your gun
raise your first
& walk your panther / sis
the revolution’s come


i don’t sleep i
put to sleep i
don’t eat i feed
i don’t stess i calm i
don’t want i
fill needs


i don’t talk i listen
don’t dream i encourage
i don’t bleed i bandage
un-nurtured i nourish
am not safe
i’m security i
don’t take i give i
don’t hurt i heal i
gave life but don’t live

smash that dish
& burn your apron
dry your tears
& load your gun
raise your first
& walk your panther / sis
the revolution’s come


ain’t satisfied i satisfy
not forgiven but i forgive
i’m not valued but i’m valuable
alive but i live
i won’t fight but am defeated
don’t hate but i’m loathed don’t
query but i’m questioned
won’t strip but i’m unclothed i
can’t confide but am a confidant
i don’t strike i bruise am
honestly untrusted i
am generously used i
am the loyal unsupported
faithful without faith
distressed deceived dishonoured
disrespected & disgraced

smash that dish
& burn your apron
dry your tears & load your gun
raise your first
& walk your panther / sis
the revolution’s come



Revolution was performed with the backing of vocalist Kate Hendry and drummer Robbie Hendry (aka People Tree) at the Northcote Social Club in Melbourne on Tuesday night at the launch of Going Down Swinging #28, the CD of which contains my poem Carrying the World. The evening was fantastic, with the highlights for me being Melbourne poet Andy Jackson’s set, and the poetry-music fusion of Sean M Whelan & the Interim Lovers.
(Photograph courtesy and (c) Sean M Whelan, 2009).



11 comments:

  1. Maxine,

    Thanks for sharing this piece here. It was such a treat to see the three of you perform it and what a knock-out performance it was. Such a strong way to start your set, and Kate's voice is just divine. I could have listened to you all night.

    Agree too that Andy and Sean were also both fantastic... I think the entire night was a highlight. Still buzzing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I read your words, the more I'd love to see you perform them!! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Can't you videotape your performance and post it here? God I would love that. The turth of this is waht gets me. Fantastic.

    i don’t talk i listen
    don’t dream i encourage
    i don’t bleed i bandage
    un-nurtured i nourish
    am not safe
    i’m security i
    don’t take i give i
    don’t hurt i heal i
    gave life but don’t live

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the power of this piece. Revolution is all about individual acts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tiggy. I agree it was just a perfect, PERFECT evening.

    Thanks Tracey,Lauri. After the Christmas period, when things start getting a little less crazy, I hope to organise some audio and video on this site...I did get a brand spanking new video camera for my birthday last month and I want to put it to great use. Oh - and Lauri, I came across a story of yours in a New Internationalist Anthology I got for my birthday called 'One World'. It was such a lovely treat to find you there - and such a moving story. (I wanted to fly to the States and get the young girl's mother back myself!)

    Fly Girl: Yes, revolutionary acts are closer to our fingertips than most of us dare think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree with folks and would love to see your performances. Wonderful and no truer revolving words than those in Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously - get your sh*t together & start podcasting and youtubing, Maxine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. another powerhouse

    agree, would be great to be able to watch and hear you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok Mama Shujaa & Kate, I feel like maybe I should make a new year's resolution (is it really time for those again...what were mine last year again?) re: video and audio on this blog.

    Utopian Fragments: Thanks. Powerhouse. Me likes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic! I love the rhythm and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Cocoyea. Coming from you, loving the rhythm is a rather huge deal :)

    ReplyDelete