Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Poet, The Petition & The Prime Minister.

I just realised I haven't posted anything here about my night at the Australian Book Industry Awards on May 23. The guardian has it covered best, I think:

"On Friday night at the annual Australian book industry awards in Sydney, prime minister Tony Abbott was handed an open letter, signed by dozens of prominent artists and writers and previously published on Guardian Australia, objecting to cuts to arts funding in the 2014 federal Budget.
The poet and author Maxine Beneba Clarke approached the prime minister during the event and offered him a sealed envelope. In it, was a copy of her work Foreign Soil, along with an open letter by the editors of literary journals Meanjin and Overland, signed by writers including Anna Funder, Alexis Wright, JM Coetzee, Don Watson, Christos Tsiolkas and Michelle de Kretser."
Read the rest here

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maxine. I followed the link to 'read the rest here' and read it. Was that event the same one where he said to you "thanks, but I don't get much time to read"? I wonder if it crossed his mind to qualify that statement with examples of some specific genres of the written word he doesn't read? Probably not, it would seem.

    ReplyDelete